Word The Cat

Word the Cat

manele bucuresti

Posted by Chris on May 16, 2008 at 11:19 am

it starts with a cigarette waving in front of shot and gets better… and better… and better. use that cigarette to burn the catacombs of fabric to the 4th level of the ground. replace it with a hundred picnic tables. shock out!

—-

Florin Salam – Regheton & Ban pe Ban [ live ]

-=+-@#-

I daresay birdseed knows more about manele than me. a surface scraping overview might say it’s working class music from bucharest (mostly performed by Roma) which is widely considered crass, dirty, backward etc. to the extent that someone wrote a virus that deletes all the files labelled manele from your hard drive (again, birdseed knows):

Practically any genre is worth looking up, but I say look out for the ones people hate.

Hi-culture and middle-brow dialectics. Romanian literary critic George Pruteanu called manele: “The pisswater of society“. wiki.

something (globalised media?) brings a nice cross-current with reggae/reggaeton. Check this ‘Turn Me On’ version:

—-

Florin Salam & Denisa – Cineva ma suna cu numar privat (real video)

\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//

keep on top of your manele here.

6 Comments »

• Comment by Birdseed on May 16, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Great vid, and thanks for the shout out! I should really do a big, exhaustive Genre of the Week for Manele at some point – it’s gonna be much easier to research now that Google Translate supports Romanian. :)

• Comment by carlos on May 21, 2008 at 11:23 am

the only thing better than Fat Kid Dancing videos

=

fat kid TEARING IT UP videos

fantastic, man. strongest blog in the game, imho.

• Comment by Taliesin on May 22, 2008 at 5:11 am

Hey Chris-
Im having a hard time finding your email. I wanted to pass you my latest mix effort in hope that you might like it. I go to school and work in NY.

Lazer Sword- Gucci $weat$shirt
Juelz/Wayne/ Make it Work
Grimey String Tune that runs at 80
Sebastian- H.A.L.
Missy- The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
Cauto- Shy Fx Remix(dub)
Trill Bass- save me from myself (dub)
Styles P- Blow Ya Mind (Starkey Remix)
Distance- V
Rusko- Gone 2 far
Cardopusher- Green Disorder (dub)
Iron shirt- All my Love (Matt Shadetek’s all my dub remix)(dub)
Cataracts ft pack- Blueberry (BD1982 remix)(dub)
Zomby- Spliff Dub (rustie remix)

• Comment by chris on May 24, 2008 at 2:06 pm

safe.

& thanks for the mix, taliesin. the new dutty artz stuff is firing.

• Comment by Birdseed on May 26, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Oh, and if you’re into dancing romanian children, maybe you should check out Ionut Cercel, the child star of manele:

• Comment by chris on May 27, 2008 at 4:42 pm

damn, the east has eurovision locked down for some time yet.